Volcanoes National Park is one of the best Rwanda Safari destinations. And, it gives you countless opportunities to spot mountain gorillas.
The habitat of the endangered mountain gorillas was started here years ago by Dian Fossey.
The Wildlife of Volcanoes National Park
Volcanoes National Park is renowned for its population of endangered mountain gorillas. But, there are other mammals in the park as well. They include cape buffaloes, brown hyenas, bushbucks, forest elephants, golden monkeys, etc.
There are also over 150 species of birds found in Volcanoes National Park. With more than 10 species of rare birds native to the Virunga Mountains.
Activities at Volcanoes National Park
There are quite a few activities that you can do in Volcanoes National Park. Let’s have a look at them:
- Gorilla Trekking – The most famous and wonderful experience in Rwanda. You’ll get lots of chances to see the habitat of the mountain gorillas while on a trek.
- A Golden Monkey Trekking adventure is also a great activity to do in Volcanoes National Park.
- For individuals interested in hiking, you can also go volcano climbing in the park. Some options are Mount Karisimbi and Mount Bisoke.
- For a unique adventure, don’t forget to explore the Musanze caves during your Rwanda Safari.
- A great way to relax is to go on a boat ride in the Twin lakes of Burera and Ruhondo.
Highlights of Volcanoes National Park
- One of the best places for gorilla trekking in all of Africa.
- Extraordinary landscapes which include volcanoes.
- It has a large concentration of golden monkeys.
- Traveling to the Buhanga Eco-Park.
A Rwanda Safari in Volcanoes National Park is going to be a memorable experience that you’ll cherish for a long time.